Clean Sky Best PhD Award 2017
CLEAN SKY AWARD FOR THE BEST PhD THESIS
IN APPLIED SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING FOR AERONAUTICS
The Clean Sky European Joint Undertaking is pleased to announce the second edition of the Award to distinguish young scientists who have recently completed a PhD thesis in the field of Aeronautics.
The Meaning of the Award is to highlight outstanding achievements of three young people at the start of their scientific careers.
The Content of the Award is an Award, including an Award Certificate, plus the cost for the attendance of the Award Ceremony.
The Application: Every person who has presented a thesis within the field of Aeronautics, within the frame of a Clean Sky project, qualifies for the Award and can submit an application. The PhD thesis must have been approved at a University or a Research Organization in Europe (including Associated Countries according to H2020) before December 31, 2016. An Open Call is launched, with the closing date on January 27, 2017, 5:00 PM.
Award Decision: The Clean Sky PhD-Award Committee will select three awardees and communicate the decision by February 22, 2017.
Award Presentation: The Awards will be handed over at the Clean Sky Forum, which will take place in Brussels on March 21-22, 2017.
Applications are now closed.
Award Rules and Procedures
An Open Call is launched, with the closing date on January 27, 2017. The candidates are required to submit a 3-page summary of their research (see template attached), to be judged by a Jury of independent experts from the Clean Sky Scientific Committee and the Clean Sky Academy Working Group (the Clean Sky PhD Award Committee).
Summaries should be presented by the candidates individually and include:
• Title of the work
• Short Description (max. 5 lines)
• Name, address and affiliation, email address, telephone number
• Name and position of supervisor(s)
• Reference to Clean Sky Project (CfP project name or ITD/IADP programme area)
• Name and position of Topic Manager (if applicable)
• Start date and End date of the PhD
• List of 5 keywords characterizing the work
• Scientific summary including
- Results, including if possible a graphical representation
- Novelty and originality of the findings, including applicability and impact.
• List of publications
The selection criteria will be based on the H2020 criteria for scientific & technological excellence and for impact.
The Jury will decide on a shortlist of 3 finalists to be invited for a 10 min presentation of their work at the Clean Sky 1 Closing Event and General Forum in Brussels, March 21-22, 2017.
Candidates may be PhD students or PhD graduates who have submitted their PhD theses on a topic related in part or in full to any area of the Clean Sky Programme (through a CfP project or an ITD/IADP work package area) . The link to the Clean Sky Programme should be clearly demonstrated, in particular when the PhD work scope only partly covers a Clean Sky topic.
Candidates should have submitted their thesis no earlier than January 1st, 2013 and no later than December 31st, 2016.
The PhD thesis must have been approved at a University or a Research Organization in Europe (including Associated Countries according to H2020).
To be eligible for the award, the PhD thesis must:
- have been examined before 31 December 2016;
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com and must include:
- the research summary template duly completed (including the list of publications)
- an electronic copy of the thesis (PDF)
- a Curriculum Vitae of the candidate
- a recommendation letter of the PhD supervisor
3. Financial Support
Travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses incurred by the finalist candidates to attend the Award Ceremony will be reimbursed by Clean Sky. Prior to participation, selected candidates are expected to present travel and accommodation plans to Clean Sky PhD Award Committee for approval.
The winner will receive an Award, including an Award Certificate, plus the cost for attendance to the Award Ceremony.
5. Key Dates
- January 27, 2017 – 5PM- Deadline for submission of Application Packages as pdf files to the CS PhD Award Committee Chairman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- February 22, 2017 - Decision of Jury - Selected finalists (3) will be informed and given instructions on the presentations they will be expected to make.
- March 21-22, 2017 – Clean Sky 1 Closing Event and General Forum – Brussels – Award Ceremony of the best PhD.